Friday, September 18, 2009

Menace that is media

I have completely lost touch with the media. My only two sources of information remain Dawn and Business Recorder. That too only as long as they are reporting the facts. I don't read the editorial section any more. The journalists are not as unbiased as they their profession requires them to be. I get particularly pissed off when journalists venture into the realms of economics and finance.
TV has been worse. You flip through countless channels and yet all you are left with is Hamid Mir or Javed Chaudhry. One wonders what happened to those prodigies like Anwar Maqsood and Haseena Moin. I distinctly remember my days in the third grade when my family was in Dubai. Sharjah TV would show Pakistani dramas like Waaris, Aangan Terha, Ankahee, Dhoop Kinaray, etc. and Indians and Pakistanis alike would rush home. Those serials had some distinct characteristics; they focused on the middle and were picturised in Pakistan instead of Dubai, they were not as complicated as they are today and they were not inspired by "Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki" or Tara. Those were the good old days when media was strictly regulated. Now that it is not, I wonder how many people are watching the soaps on Geo or ARY.
As if this was not enough. We get to see our perverted politicians talking crap.



This kind of stuff often leaves one wondering whether he is the only one observing some standards of decency.

No comments:

Post a Comment